Exports gain 2.2% from Nov. 1
简介South Korea's exports rose 2.2 percent on-year in the first 20 days of this month on growing de ...
South Korea's exports rose 2.2 percent on-year in the first 20 days of this month on growing demand for semiconductors and vehicles, data showed Tuesday.
Outbound shipments reached $33.79 billion in the Nov. 1-20 period, compared with $33.07 billion tallied a year earlier, according to the data from the Korea Customs Service.
Per-day exports also went up 2.2 percent on-year to $2.18 billion during the cited period, it added.
Exports grew for the first time in 13 months in October. They advanced 5.1 percent on-year to $55 billion, driven by rising chip sales in the global market.
Imports fell 6.2 percent on-year to $35.21 billion during the first 20 days of November, resulting in a trade deficit of $1.4 billion.
The growth in exports was led by upbeat global sales of South Korean semiconductors and vehicles.
Exports of semiconductors, a key export item, advanced 2.4 percent to $5.41 billion during the first 20 days of this month.
It marked the first time since September last year that chip exports logged on-year growth during the first 20 days of a month.
On a monthly basis, semiconductor exports have fallen for 15 months in a row since August 2022 through October amid the industry downcycle.
Chip exports accounted for 16 percent of the country's total exports.
Auto exports surged 20.1 percent on-year to $3.76 billion.
Shipments of petroleum products inched up 0.4 percent to $3.05 billion, and exports of electronics jumped 25.6 percent to $430 million.
But steel exports fell 9.5 percent on-year to $2.23 billion, and those of auto parts fell 3.6 percent to $1.14 billion.
By destination, exports to China, the top trading partner for South Korea, fell 2.4 percent to $7.23 billion.
Exports to the United States, however, jumped 15.7 percent on-year to $6.59 billion during the cited period, and those to Vietnam climbed 1.4 percent to $3.11 billion.
Exports to the European Union lost 4.1 percent to $3.18 billion, while those to Japan increased 10.8 percent to $1.63 billion.
"Semiconductor sales are forecast to mark on-year growth this month, which would help lead the growth in overall exports," an industry ministry official said.
The government has expected exports, the country's key economic growth engine, to bottom out and gradually recover and vowed all-out efforts to support exporters. (Yonhap)
A total of 16 South Korean climate tech companies, ranging from promising startups to well-establish ...
K-pop pop-ballad duo Davichi is returning with a new single on Nov. 15, according to WakeOne Enterta ...
윤석열 대통령이 31일 국회 사랑재에서 열린 여야 원내대표·상임위원장 오찬에 앞서 인사말을 하고 있다. 오른쪽부터 시계 방향으로 김진표 국회의장, 윤재옥 국민의힘 원내대표, 백혜련 ...
S. Korea's heavyweights like ex
Decoding Korea's 'virtuous' drinking culture
Epitaph plaque for wife of first Korean diplomatic minister in US returns to Korea
Yoon doubles down on cutting national debt in 2024 budget speech
YouTuber suspected of livestreaming after taking drugs
N. Korean envoy rejects report on Hamas using N. Korean arms as 'groundless'
- [Herald Review] 'Different, but in harmony'
- Park Bom to return with new single ‘I’
- Journey to Joseon scholars' timeless dwellings
- Han Kang wins prestigious French award for foreign literature
- [Today’s K
- Berliner Philharmoniker visits Seoul for first time in 6 years, joined by Cho Seong
- Jungkook's 'Golden' hits No. 2 on Billboard 200 with biggest
- 검사탄핵안 이어…야당, 이번엔 검사 좌표찍기
- ‘험지 출마’ 압박받는 장제원, 4200명 운집 산악회로 세 과시
- Kumho Petrochemical comits to net zero by 2050
- Yoon appoints new defense, culture ministers without parliamentary confirmation
- [Herald Interview] S&P economist tells Korea to brace for worst
- S. Korean women dominate recurve archery at Asian Games
- Questions remain after passage of anonymous birth bill
- [Our Museums] Gyeonggi Ceramic Museum shows artistic essence of ceramics throughout history
- KCON Saudi Arabia 2023 attracts 23,000 K
- [Herald Interview] 'UN peacekeeping forces need better gender equity'
- 尹 “국민, 안보 믿음 가졌을 것”…4000명 장병 동원 행진 주관
- Opposition leader Lee attends arrest warrant hearing at Seoul court
- 외교부, 이스라엘 전역 여행경보 ‘특별여행주의보’ 발령
- Hamas surprise attack out of Gaza leaves hundreds dead in fighting, retaliation
- Seoul prepares for first major military parade in ten years
- Foreigners ditch sluggish Korean stocks
- Seoul shares open lower on Fed, growth woes
- S. Korea’s consumer sentiment turns sour in September: BOK index
- Chief justice seat at top court left vacant amid Assembly chaos
- S. Korean fencer Oh Sang
- Is S. Korea dangerous for women?
- 홍익표, 체포안 가결파 징계에 “총선 승리 도움 기준으로 판단”
- Young swimmer enjoys self