[From the scene] Nakwon
简介Nakwon Tteok House, a rice cake store in Nakwon-dong in Jongno-gu, central Seoul, traces its roots b ...
Nakwon Tteok House, a rice cake store in Nakwon-dong in Jongno-gu, central Seoul, traces its roots back to the waning years of the Joseon era (1392-1910). The story of Nakwon Tteok House begins with Go I-ppo, who sold rice cakes as a street vendor after learning to make tteok from the court ladies of nearby palace Changdeokgung.
Go's rice cake business continued with her daughter Kim In-dong, who was born in 1919. After the 1950-1953 Korean War, Kim moved the business to its current location in 1956 and handed down the family business to her daughter Lee Gwang-sun. Today, Lee and her husband Kim Jeong-gui run the Nakwon Tteok House with their son, Kim Seung-mo.
The Nakwon Tteok House's place in history has been recognized by the city government. In 2014, the Seoul Metropolitan Government listed the rice cake store as among the "Seoul Future Heritage."
“Nakwon Tteok House has served as an observer, witnessing the past, present and future of Seoul. It has contributed to transforming tteok from a royal treat to everyday people’s favorite,” the Seoul Museum of History says on its website.
The rice cake store has served the rich and famous, from Hyundai Group founder Chung Ju-yung to former presidents.
“Officials from Cheong Wa Dae often made calls to order rice cake. We served more than eight presidential offices but we never heard a single complaint," Kim, 81, said. "We're proud, of course, that our rice cakes are loved by higher-ups, but our biggest happiness comes from serving everyday people."
Although Nakwon Tteok House has been approached by a number of department stores with business proposals, Kim and his wife decided not to expand their business.
"We make tteok by hand rather than using machines," Kim said. "But they were interested in mass production, which would compromise quality."
An umbrella group for those in dog meat industry in South Korea has vowed to hold a protest Thursday ...
Local governments across the country have suspended issuing government certificates and civil docume ...
Prime Minister Han Duck-soo highlighted the World Expo's role of sharing the host country' ...
- Korea to showcase advanced climate technologies at COP28 Dubai
- Netflix’s ‘Single’s Inferno’ to return with season 3 in December
- IMF calls for restrictive monetary policy for S. Korea 'for considerable time' to tame inflation
- Nightmare before Christmas: 'rape announcement' issued at Seoul billboard
- Jeju's autonomy is model for Western Sahara: Morocco
- Seoul to expand monthly transit pass to cover Incheon
S. Korea, Japan, China agree to accelerate summit efforts
Seoul shares open lower on US economic data
Samyang post record sales on China's Singles Day
Surf's up: Enhypen enjoys the ride with 'Orange Blood'
German envoy calls for enhanced security cooperation with S. Korea
Seventeen’s Dino to release first solo mixtape ‘Wait’ this month
- Over half of Koreans say they won't continue jesa: survey
- Gov't to complete vaccination of cattle by Nov. 10 to prevent spread of lumpy skin disease
- [Today’s K
- [Herald Interview] Chung Ji
- Taemin of SHINee returns solo with 4th EP ‘Guilty’
- JYP's Japanese girl group NiziU debuts in Korea with single album ‘Press Play’
- Yoon, Kishida receive JFK award for mending stalled ties
- Special brochure brings together Korean
- [Busan Is Ready] S. Korea to expand ODA initiatives to promote Busan Expo
- 황교안 "유승민·이준석 자리만 차지…통합, 잡탕밥 돼선 안돼"
- [Herald Interview] Cha Seung
- Dreamcatcher returns as 'villains' with special power
- City becomes attractive when social minorities are empowered: Seoul mayor
- LG Display appoints LG Innotek chief as new CEO
- 한동훈 “나는 스타장관 아니다, 여당 아닌 야당이 날 띄우는 것"
- German ambassador advocates 'de
- 이준석 “한동훈, 나 때문에 일찍 등판한 거면 너무 빨랐다”
- 이상민 “민주당 지도부 아무도 연락 없어, 어느 정도 마음 정했다”
- 이재명 "가장 큰 문제는 오만, 몸가짐·마음가짐 철저 관리를"
- PKM Gallery sheds light on Toby Ziegler, Kwon Jin
- Story of first female leader of traveling entertainers reimagined
- S. Korea elected as member of UNESCO World Heritage Committee
- 김웅 “한동훈, 돌 좀 맞고 욕먹더라도 강남 3구서 출마해야”
- [KH Explains] Why Apple's iPhone15 is selling better in Korea than China, Japan
- Samsung renews CSR push for multicultural families, seniors
- Korea inks 37 deals with UK, vows closer ties
- Court orders Japan to compensate ‘comfort women’
- 이준석 "난 박근혜 키즈 넘어섰다…한동훈도 尹키즈 벗어나야"
- Christmas comes early with aespa's 'Jingle Bell Rock'
- Two Koreans named among world's top 200 art collectors